Today I went through an experience of extreme fear overtaking me. Things from the past came flooding into my memory. It was very overwhelming and, to use an overused word: terrifying. Usually when I feel emotions this strongly, I find some food and stuff the feelings back down. The fear is too much; I feel swallowed up by it. My brain feels like it’s drowning. But today, I decided to stand against it. Stand firm. Stay with it. Keep breathing.
A bout 30 minutes later, the feeling left. Yes, 30 minutes. Usually I give up after 5. So I guess today I increased my patience and perseverance. It wasn’t easy; it was uncomfortable, scary, shocking, and I felt out of control. It finally left after 30 minutes, and I did not eat food to push it away!
Then this scripture came to mind:
1 Corinthians 10:13
Good News Translation (GNT)
“13 Every test that you have experienced is the kind that normally comes to people. But God keeps his promise, and he will not allow you to be tested beyond your power to remain firm; at the time you are put to the test, he will give you the strength to endure it, and so provide you with a way out.”
First, I have to remember, everyone goes through these things. I’m not the only human to go through it. And, God gives us the strength to endure it.
Like that old quote, “Sometimes, the only way out, is through.”
Today’s experience was a victory for me. I hope to have many more victories on the journey to stop overeating.
- Facing Fear (jonathanhilton.com)
- Anxiety – What Do Anxiety and Maggots Have in Common? (cirrus8nephewg.wordpress.com)
- Fears are foes. (brittadubbels.com)
- Don’t wait for fear to overwhelm you. Ask for support! (joanncheung.com)
- My Guest Post on ThinkSimpleNow (yourlifeisastory.wordpress.com)
- Challenged Beyond MY Strength (sistersofchrist.wordpress.com)
- Contemplation (godlywomengettheblues.com)