Jacob’s Dream at Bethel
New King James Version (NKJV)
45 Philip found Nathanael and said to him, “We have found Him of whom Moses in the law, and also the prophets, wrote—Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.”
46 And Nathanael said to him, “Can anything good come out of Nazareth?”
Philip said to him, “Come and see.”
47 Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward Him, and said of him, “Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom is no deceit!”
48 Nathanael said to Him, “How do You know me?”
Jesus answered and said to him, “Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you.”
49 Nathanael answered and said to Him, “Rabbi, You are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!”
50 Jesus answered and said to him, “Because I said to you, ‘I saw you under the fig tree,’ do you believe? You will see greater things than these.” 51 And He said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, hereafter[a] you shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man.”
First, remember Jesus was talking to Jewish people, Israelites. They were familiar with Moses and the Law and the Prophets. They knew a Messiah was coming. (They were expecting someone different from Jesus, but that’s another story for another day.)
The apostles also knew about “Jacob’s Ladder,” the vision of angels ascending and descending a ladder that goes from earth to heaven.
So in verse 51, when Jesus says : the angels of God ascending and descening UPON THE SON OF MAN, he was saying that He Himself IS THE LADDER TO GOD.
Whew! I never saw it in quite that way before. Through believing on Jesus, we are reconciled to God, and go from the earth realm to the heavenly realm.
Jesus IS the ladder. We have strong rungs under us.
- A lectionary Sermon for Year B, January 15 2012, based on John 1: 43-51 (billpeddie.wordpress.com)
- Under The Fig Tree ( JN 1:43-51) (catholicjules.net)
- Here I am, Lord — Lectionary Meditation (bobcornwall.com)
- Sermon – John 1:43-end (parishsermons.wordpress.com)
- Sunday Bible Study Notes: January 8 (lifereference.wordpress.com)
- Bible Block Bom January 2012 (cozyquilts.wordpress.com)
- “Can Anything Good Come From _______?” Sermon 01.15.12 (pastorcraig.org)
- John 1 (mybiblereadingplan.wordpress.com)
- Under the Fig Tree (gladlylistening.wordpress.com)