Mr. Porter’s garden has been most successful this year; we have herds of eggplant, peppers and beans. I love eggplant parm as much as the next person, but all those tasty bread crumbs which usually accompany eggplant–well they have a lot of carbs.
So I figured, I would wrap up the eggplant inside some lasagna (made with rice noodles instead of wheat–I’m sure my gluten free friends could find a suitable alternative.)
So here’s what I did:
1. Slice the eggplant, place on cookies sheet (sprayed with non-stick spray) and bake at 350 degrees for 15 mins. (Note to self: don’t forget the potholders.)
2. Brown the hamburger while that is going on. (Sure, use ground turkey.)
3. Cook the sauce. Pour in the browned hamburger. Add extra oregano to the sauce. Yum.
4. Mix the cheeses. Ricotta cheese, 2 eggs, some peppers finely chopped. A dash of parmesan cheese and a dash of mozzarella cheese.
5. Cheese! Did somebody say Cheese?
6. Pick a nice pan to cook it in. Cover the bottom of the pan with olive oil so it doesn’t stick. Then spoon some sauce over it.
7. Lay down those lasagna noodles into the pan.
8. Cover with more sauce.
9. Layer the eggplant.
10. Cover with a layer of cheese mixture.
11. You know the drill; lather, rinse, repeat, until you get to the top of the pan. Then cover it with mozzarella cheese.
12. Bake at 350 for 35 mins.
13. Cut, eat, and enjoy.
Bailey waits for more cheese to fall onto the floor!
Happy Monday everyone!